Timaru - $1 reserve - Save it from the tip!

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

Re: Timaru - $1 reserve - Save it from the tip!

Postby floppylobster on Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:35 pm

Hi guys,

I ended up winning this auction and had it sent to my brother in Timaru. I'm planning on going down later this year to sort through it all. If there are things you're interested in then let me know and I'll keep an eye out for it and bring it back with me, or put it aside for you. I'll be open to selling things separately or in small lots or making some trades for Amstrad, Commodore 64, Atari 800XL, ZX Spectrum or SC-3000 stuff. When I get back from Timaru I can post a list. Probably won't be until around March though.
floppylobster

Postby LilJoe on Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:07 pm

May I ask what kind of SC-3000 stuff is available? Do you have any of the actual units or just peripherals? Thanks Joe
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.Image
If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0
Roses are #FF0000, Violets are #0000FF.
LilJoe

Postby floppylobster on Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:22 pm

Hi, Sorry you might have misread my post. I was interested in trading for SC-3000 stuff. As far as I'm aware there is no SC-3000 stuff amongst the auction lot I won. From what I know there is, (taken from auction description) -

"At least 3 C64/Vic-20 & some peripherals

Around 6 or more Amstrads, PCW8256, PC1640, possibly other models

A weird old PC with 2 XT (8088) motherboards inside - it was manufactured that way, takes 2 monitors, keyboards etc, can't remember the brand. Possibly the makings of the world's smallest Beowulf cluster!

2-3 PCs, XT and/or 286, in various states of completeness

One, possibly 2, EGA colour monitors

Probably an EGA video card or two

Memory expansion card for an XT, providing up to a massive 1MB of RAM

A tape backup device that connects to a regular VCR allowing you to back up your PC onto cheap tapes. Yes, seriously.

Lots of ancient software for PC, Commodore, Amstrad & etc on disk and tape, probably some cartridges too

Heaps of assorted cables

Agfa SCSI scanner, v good quality.

SCSI cards, PCMCIA SCSI card, SCSI cables and adapters

Big box of used 5.25" floppies and I think new ones

A packet of new & unused 8" floppies!!

Asstd keyboards, CD drives, floppy drives, expansion cards, god knows what else."

So far the only thing I know is there that is not in the list above is an Atari 8088 PC3 and some boxed Commodore software. But there are apparently a trailer load of boxes still to go through.

I do have a bunch of SC-3000 stuff from my own collection. Some computers, some cartridges. I would be open to trading those for C64 or Spectrum items I needed.
floppylobster

Postby LilJoe on Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:27 pm

Oops :oops:
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.Image
If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0
Roses are #FF0000, Violets are #0000FF.
LilJoe

Postby SpidersWeb on Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:34 pm

Thanks for posting up :) I'd be keen to know more about what PC gear you find when you get down there.
Probably be a cash buyer, as I'm not sure I have too much 8 bit to trade that you wouldn't already have.

Hopefully there is two EGA monitors spare, because I know I'm not the only one rubbing my hands when I see those letters lol
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby arjoll on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:53 pm

SpidersWeb wrote:Hopefully there is two EGA monitors spare, because I know I'm not the only one rubbing my hands when I see those letters lol

I know I am too :)
'arjoll' on Trademe
Wishlist: BBC model B, Spectrum 48k and anything Sord.
arjoll

Postby tezza on Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:34 am

arjoll wrote:
SpidersWeb wrote:Hopefully there is two EGA monitors spare, because I know I'm not the only one rubbing my hands when I see those letters lol

I know I am too :)

And me.. :)
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby floppylobster on Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:49 pm

Cash is fine for me. Anything that helps pay off my trip down and back will be good. Looking at going toward the end of March. I will keep you posted with what I find.
floppylobster

Postby floppylobster on Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:13 pm

Just an update. The trip is booked for April 10th. I only have couple of days to sort through things and probably won't have good Internet access while I'm there. I'll be heading up to Auckland (via Christchurch, Wellington, Palmerston North and Hamilton) on my way back up. I'll only have limited space so let me know what I should definitely be putting aside and I'll do my best to post some sort of list here before I start heading back. Ideally I can get the list up while I'm still there and if anyone wants anything I can drop it off on my way up. But at the very least I hope to salvage the things people are most interested in, make a list of what is there, while finding a few things for myself, and we can work out the details later.
floppylobster

Postby tezza on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:51 pm

Hi floppylobster,

Thanks for keeping us updated.

I didn't see the original auction but do you know if there is an Amstrad cpc 464 there (preferably with it's screen and the required cables)? If so I'd be interested, but only if it was working and in very good condition. I've become quite fussy as regards the appearance of things I collect now as I will (eventually) want to show things beasts off (-:

I guess you won't know until you get down there, but if you DO know please convey that to me...there is one on e-BAY tempting me at the moment and I don't want to win it only to find I might have saved some money getting something locally. If you're not sure...well I'll then have to make a decision regarding this e-bay one.

An EGA monitor is of interest but as SpidersWeb and ajoll both mentioned EGA monitors I figure it's first come, first served with those. However if there is still a working spare in good condition, I might be interested.
tezza
Site Admin

Postby SeanKennedy on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:22 pm

Hi floppylobster - if you are passing back through Christchurch I could relieve you of any DSDD floppies you find - name a resonable price?

If only there was an Apple Super Serial card in there :(
SeanKennedy

Postby floppylobster on Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:06 pm

Thank you for listing what you're interested in. Anything that will help me identify what I'm looking for will improve the chances that I don't overlook something.

I'm an expert on game consoles but a bit of a novice on computers. I played games on them a lot growing up but never owned one and have only recently been getting back into vintage computing. I bid on the auction in the hopes of getting some Amstrad stuff and a bit of Commodore 64 gear, (and the idea of going through a bulk lot with an added trip to South Island sounded like fun). So every detail you can tell me about what you're interested in will help me.

At the very least I will bring anything that matches your descriptions back up with me to Auckland, (at the very best I would be able to let you know what I find while I'm down there and then drop it off on my way up). There will also be a possibility my brother can bring some stuff up later in the year if I don't have room for it. Or that he can send it from Timaru.

A link or suggestion for a Google image search might be a good idea too. I'm pretty competent when doing a task, just not an expert at identifying vintage computer parts.
floppylobster

Postby floppylobster on Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:21 pm

From what I know there is quite possibly an Amstrad CPC 464 there. Possibly more than one. Definitely one Amstrad CPC 6128. I'll be a looking for a good CPC 6128 myself. There could be more. Not sure of the condition of any of them yet sorry. From what little I've seen I'd say the condition won't be as good as something you'd find on ebay.
floppylobster

Postby tezza on Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:56 pm

No worries. I'll keep looking for a nice working one elsewhere, but I might be interested in an old banger as a spare anyway. Keep us posted. Thanks.
tezza
Site Admin

Postby floppylobster on Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:16 pm

I have returned from Timaru. Don't really know how to report on it. Quite a lot of junk with some gold mixed in between. Basically nothing was in great condition but there was some rare stuff there. I brought up some Amstrads, C64s and accessories to sell on Trade Me to help cover my costs (and a couple I wanted to keep). And I left quite a lot behind (about 20 boxes worth).

I have posted an album of images of the things I left down there, but my brother can bring anything up when he comes up to Auckland, or send it out from Timaru if anyone is interested in anything. I only have a vague idea of what is what sorry, but ask any questions and I'll try to give you the best answer I can.

Check the pictures. The stuff I thought was junk I didn't even take a photo of. And there was a big box of PC cards that I just didn't get time to research or photograph. I know I left about five Amstrad PC1640s in various states there (with monitors). And there was a large box of peripherals and some high quality boxed software (stuff like Photoshop but older with huge manuals and big boxes - some version of DOS? and some others) but I didn't get time to get photos of it all. My brother will check it if anyone is interested.

http://imgur.com/a/Z820c#0

The first photo probably shows a third of what is still down there. NOTE: Some of the photos are of the same stuff from a different angle, so it might look like there is more than one of something, but there might not be. The Amstrads etc are not in the photos because I planned to take pictures of them up here.
floppylobster

PreviousNext

Return to Trade Me