Timaru - $1 reserve - Save it from the tip!

Discuss any interesting vintage computer Trade Me items here

Re: Timaru - $1 reserve - Save it from the tip!

Postby SpidersWeb on Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:55 pm

OH MY GOD ANOTHER IBM JX with the optional 5.25 module.
I've got a unit here with the correct CRT and keyboard to go with it, and would very much love to have a proper dual 3.5 unit with the 5.25" hat.

Probably other machines in there I'd be keen on as well, but would very much like to organise the purchase of this one - happy to pay postage from Timaru.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby caluser2000 on Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:06 pm

I'd be interested in the Archimedies/Acorn stuff and any related software.
The Acorn never falls far from the tree.. x86 GUI whore.
caluser2000

Postby floppylobster on Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:35 pm

So what's the next step? Do I post this stuff on Trade Me and it goes to the highest bidder? Or do I take offers? Sorry I've not dealt through this website before so please advise me on the options.
floppylobster

Postby floppylobster on Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:35 pm

(Also, in regards to the Acorn, I was considering keeping it myself - at least until I could get it running to take a trip down memory lane, but I'd probably look at selling it after that. It is missing the power cable (the end has been cut off). I don't think there's any software and only one small program book that goes with it. But there is one large floppy drive that appears to take 3.5" discs?)
floppylobster

Postby tezza on Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:20 pm

floppylobster wrote:So what's the next step? Do I post this stuff on Trade Me and it goes to the highest bidder? Or do I take offers? Sorry I've not dealt through this website before so please advise me on the options.

It's very much up to you. Trade Me is set up for buying and selling. You'll get more buyers but they could be from anywhere, not just this site. Another option is to list all items and ask members to PM you with an offer within a certain time period . You then take the highest offer. Another way would be to list all items here with the price you want for each and whoever is first with a PM saying they want the item gets it.

Whatever you do, given that you've asked people to express an interest and some have, it would be good to give those people first option on what they have said they are interested in. Good luck, there is some good stuff there.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby floppylobster on Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:54 pm

tezza wrote:Whatever you do, given that you've asked people to express an interest and some have, it would be good to give those people first option on what they have said they are interested in. Good luck, there is some good stuff there.

Okay, thanks. So I'll ask those people who have expressed interest to PM me their offers. If they're fair and reasonable, and there's no huge discrepancy with what anyone else offers, then I'll accept them in order of those who expressed interest first. (It was a fun trip but I took a week off work, flew down, rented a van and drove back to Auckland, so I'll be hoping to cover some of those costs.)
floppylobster

Postby RonTurner on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:41 am

floppylobster wrote:(It was a fun trip but I took a week off work, flew down, rented a van and drove back to Auckland, so I'll be hoping to cover some of those costs.)

Can I ask, are you inferring that you rented a car and a plane flight and took a week off work just to get these PC items ? I presume you where on a holiday or visiting a friend/relative?
RonTurner

Postby floppylobster on Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:34 pm

RonTurner wrote:
floppylobster wrote:(It was a fun trip but I took a week off work, flew down, rented a van and drove back to Auckland, so I'll be hoping to cover some of those costs.)

Can I ask, are you inferring that you rented a car and a plane flight and took a week off work just to get these PC items ? I presume you where on a holiday or visiting a friend/relative?

It was a bit of both. As I said, it was a fun trip. I saw my brother. But he was coming up here in June so I could have just waited until then to see him.

When the auction appeared and said delivery only in Timaru I thought of asking him to accept delivery for me. I'd been looking for an Amstrad 6128 and a ZX Sinclair (posted a request here, but deleted it because I got no replies and eventually found one online). Once it was delivered I asked him what was there. He sent some pictures. The first picture he sent was of an Atari PC3. I check online and found someone was interested in it. So I asked around and it became clear that different people were interested in different things that might be there. That's when I got the idea to go down myself, pick up the Amstrad (and any Commodore accessories), and sort through the rest in hopes of finding some other stuff to help fund the trip. (My half brother is much older than me and would not have been able to identify what was worth saving from the tip from the junk).

So as I say, it was a bit of both. I could have easily asked him to just send photos of everything. But I haven't seen him many times in my life so I thought it might be good to reconnect. I was happy to pay the original auction price for just the Amstrad because I always regretted missing out on the last one that was on Trade Me last year. If no one else was interested in anything I would have just asked my brother to bring up an Amstrad in June.

Was I saying I was hoping to get some of costs of trip back? Yes. Was I trying to suggest people make me large offers to pay for my trip? No. I've had some reasonable offers. That's all I asked for.
floppylobster

Previous

Return to Trade Me