Retro LAN gaming

Chew the fat on more "recent" computing (1995 and upwards)

Retro LAN gaming

Postby Carcenomy on Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:00 pm

So after far too many beers and far too much chatter about it, it's been decided that I'm hosting a retro LAN party next month.

The only major rules are that significant hardware needs to be pre-2000 and operating systems are to be Windows 2000, 9x variants or earlier.

This has resulted in a variety of zany hardware coming out of the woodwork and a sudden demand for mid to late 90s hardware. I've ended up having to import a GeForce256... dare I say I called it, but the Pentium/Pentium II era hardware is becoming awfully scarce. AthlonXPs and such are going to be even worse since most succumbed to cap failure...

I'll get photos at the event, should be some seriously odd hardware on display! And if any of you guys are keen to join in, flick me a message :)
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Re: Retro LAN gaming

Postby Gibsaw on Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:45 pm

Without wishing to be a troll, I take it this is something happening in invercargill?
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby Carcenomy on Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:43 pm

Oh sorry, I totally should have mentioned that it's happening down here ;)

At this point we're not set on where we're having it, was meant to be having it at my home but the flat just sold and I haven't found a new place yet, so it may be happening in Kaka Point at this stage.
Carcenomy

Postby Carcenomy on Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:17 pm

I'm pretty terrible at finding the time to even update my own threads on here.

Yes this happened and exactly as anticipated there was a sea of Pentium IIIs and predominantly Windows 98SE, with only a couple of us ballsy enough to run ME, and only another couple running AMD CPUs. Unfortunately nobody thought to take any flaming photos!

But I'll be running another in August, this time we'll definitely get some decent photos! :)
Carcenomy

Return to Non-Vintage Computing