Tech Question and Answer

Chew the fat on more "recent" computing (1995 and upwards)

Tech Question and Answer

Postby mehimu on Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:11 pm

Tech question and answer – 1:

1. WiFi is not working in my laptop, what is the solution?
Answer: First uninstall the WiFi device software from your laptop, Download a latest version from the laptop manufacturer website and install it.
If this problem still occurs, then, it seems that there is a problem of WiFi device. You may need to contact the customer care.

2. How to remove shortcut virus from PC?
Answer: Shortcut virus is a virus which is annoying more and more. It generally creates a disgusting problem. To get rid from it, you can use latest version of updated antivirus. Also you use latest version of malware bytes.
Can download malware bytes from here:
https://www.malwarebytes.org/

3. How can I recover deleted data?
Ans : If you accidently delete data, then you can still recover that data, though sometimes these data may be corrupted. You can use data recovery software to recover data. There are so many software you can find online to recover data like Recover My Files, Easy Data Recovery, Media Rescue Pro, Photo Rescue pro etc. You can also get help from the search engine to get the information about data recovery.

4. How can I open ZIP or RAR file?
Ans : Generally some files we download from the internet are packed as rar or ZIP. We need to open or extract files from it. To do this we need to install WinRAR or winZIP software in our PC.
Also if you are using windows 7 or later version then, you can download and install 7 ZIP.
You can download WinRAR from here:
http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

5. How to secure a folder in PC?
Ans : Sometimes it is needed to secure one or more folder in a PC. Because some folder contains important information or personal information. There are so many software through which you can secure your folder in PC. Some of them are folder lock, hide my folder, Password folder, PC security etc. For more this types of software you can search in the search engines.
You can download folder lock from here:
http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/30 ... 63343.html
Himadri
mehimu

Re: Tech Question and Answer

Postby LilJoe on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:53 pm

Hmm, this may be better under the 'non-vintage computing' section as its not that relevant for older computers...
Last edited by LilJoe on Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.Image
If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0
Roses are #FF0000, Violets are #0000FF.
LilJoe

Postby tezza on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:58 pm

Yes this should be under non-vintage computing. Moved.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby Swivel on Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:03 pm

Tech questions 1 and 2 have answers that are just an idea but not solution's. I'd say don't follow them and get good advice.

1- roll back driver, check ip info, is it turned on, for starters.
2- shortcut virus, edit the shortcut icon and remove the extension added to shortcut.
Swivel

Postby caluser2000 on Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:16 pm

All depends on the OS. I'm now using a linux distro daily on my home system so my answers are as follows:

1. What customer care? Online forums are useful though.
2. What virus shortcut?
3. Lost your data. It's gone Jim. Backup backup, backup............ Ok there's *nix recovery tools. But the first course of action is stop using the system completely. This'll stop overwritng of any important files. Either put the hdd in some external usb housing or run a live Linux distro to try and recover any files.
4. Just click on the file in Thunar, wammo!! it's opened!! I can veiw the file and extract it to whatever locating the user profile has access to.
5. Set the right permissions etc.
The Acorn never falls far from the tree.. x86 GUI whore.
caluser2000

Postby Carcenomy on Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:35 pm

You all been tricksed. Apparently the common phpBB spambot is getting a little more clever these days and posts almost relevant information!
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby Clym5 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:40 pm

I didn't want to say anything, but now that the cat is out of the bag, yup, bot.
Amiga 4000: Apollo Turbo 040, 128MB Fast, 40gb HDD, CD-ROM (needs internet)
C64: 1541U-II, MixSID, WiFi, LumaFix64
ZX Spec, A1200, CD32, MacPlus/SE, A500, BBC Turbo Master (NASA), 2600, Acorn 4000, VIC-20, IBM 5155, GameBoy
Clym5

Postby Gibsaw on Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:56 pm

well, then I think there should be only one course of action... total removal of the user and this thread.
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby Swivel on Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:01 pm

I run a few forums,14 game servers, Auction site, etc and haven't seen or heard of a spam bot that registers and logs in alot.

Would like some more info on this. Links to this spam bot.
Swivel

Postby RonTurner on Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:08 pm

Swivel wrote:I run a few forums,14 game servers, Auction site, etc and haven't seen or heard of a spam bot that registers and logs in alot.

Would like some more info on this. Links to this spam bot.

Anything is possible , the only way possible to be sure is to engage in conversation with said bot/human and wait for the responses, should the accused turn out to be friend not foe then there will be some red faces icos posted so hold fire, wouldnt it would be interesting if the bot started posting very relevant messages and made a contribution to the forum in some way ,maybe we could consider keeping it on, I mean its already mastered signup and posting while maintaining a friendly and informative thread that contains information relevant to this forum.
RonTurner

Postby SpidersWeb on Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:53 am

I need a vintage bot to come replace my keyboard foam-pads for me. Do 100 or so keys, reassemble, whoops 2mm too big - bah
Will click through to as many adverts as required.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Postby tezza on Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:24 am

Gibsaw wrote:well, then I think there should be only one course of action... total removal of the user and this thread.

Don't worry, I'm watching. I think the jury is still out. People for who English is a second language and are not used to these kinds of forums (but generally interested) can put up bot-like posts. I don't want to flick them just for that. Of course real people can be employed to be bots and post links. The latter is possible. At the moment there are just a few posts from the member in question so we'll wait and see...
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Return to Non-Vintage Computing