Wireless Router/Modems. They don't last forever..

Chew the fat on more "recent" computing (1995 and upwards)

Wireless Router/Modems. They don't last forever..

Postby tezza on Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:25 pm

Just relaying a recent experience....

For years (3-4 years) we've had a Belkin wireless router/modem working just fine at home. A couple of weeks ago the wireless part of the modem started to get flaky. I guess being on 24/7 all those years was taking it toll. Anyway, after hours of investigation I concluded that it was indeed the wireless part (connection with a straight cable was fine), and that the best course of action would be to replace the unit.

We have an ASDL line with Spark.

I bought a D-Link DSL-2877AL as a substitute. This unit must have been faulty, because I could not get it working. It would connect to the Internet but within seconds, speed would drop to almost zero. This was with a direct connection even! I spent some time with D-Link support, upgrading firmware, sending them screen shots of settings etc. but to no avail. After a week of frustration I simply returned it to the shop.

The shop (Noel Lemmings) dealt with the complaint well. I didn't want another D-link, and they were happy to replace it with a NetGear unit. This was actually cheaper and they refunded me the difference. I don't have the NetGear model in front of me now, so I can't tell you exactly what it is, except it works perfectly.

I was a little concerned in replacing the router in that I have an OLD DS wireless card in my Windows XP box out in the room above garage. I needed something with the range to get out there AND that would support the security protocols in that old card. Luckily the Netgear unit is fine on both counts.

Anyway, I guess the moral of the story is...
(1) Modem/routers do wear out
(2) Even new stuff can be faulty. Don't be afraid to return it and ask for an entirely different brand.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Re: Wireless Router/Modems. They don't last forever..

Postby FrenchBrown on Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:18 pm

Hi, yes, in some cases they don't last for a longer time and needs to replace after so many months. We do had a modem that lasted only for a few months but we already replaced it because it won't function as normal just like before. We are having some issues with that. However, we are using D-Link now.
FrenchBrown

Postby boworion on Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:18 am

yeah, some wireless router don't last long. I just bought a D-Link AC3200 Ultra Wi-fi router DIR-890L/R, let's see if the reviews are true
boworion

Postby FrenchBrown on Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:42 pm

boworion wrote:yeah, some wireless router don't last long. I just bought a D-Link AC3200 Ultra Wi-fi router DIR-890L/R, let's see if the reviews are true

That's great! D-link is a good brand based on my experience. D-Link AC3200 Ultra Wi-fi router is said to be a wireless home router for gaming so it means it can deliver an incredible speed even up to 3.2 gbps.
FrenchBrown

Postby mons2b on Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:07 pm

Ive always found D-link gear to be flakey and I worked for a ISP provider and we used to give those out free but a lot came back. Id never buy one again. Netgear is pretty solid. Agree with taking back. If I buy something that turns out to be utter rubbish no way I want the same again. Nothing eases my irritation like a complete brand swap. :). Sometimes brands go into a cost reduction death spiral cheaper and cheaper components leading to lower market share so they cost reduce more and make it even more crappy then they give up and leave the market. Partly consumers take part of the blame by being intensly focused on price. Me I would rather have a older device that is a brand I trust rather than a newer cheaper brand in the cost down spiral. Points to Toshiba laptops though the plastic got thinner and nicities like a CMOS battery deleted off the motherboard (LOL) they were still reliable. Unfortunately they have given up on the spiral of doom and are sticking to business computers for now. Everyone buys a el cheapo HP notebook. I worked for a computer reseller. My daily tasks involved a endless stream of faulty HP products (laptops, desktops, tablets). Theres a reason they are cheap. Not saying Toshiba was perfect but you had a much lower chance of a bad experience with them.
mons2b

Return to Non-Vintage Computing