My non-vintage computer

Chew the fat on more "recent" computing (1995 and upwards)

Re: My non-vintage computer

Postby Carcenomy on Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:14 am

lizardb0y wrote:
Carcenomy wrote:... but it's the middleground where it pisses me off. You want to make a minor adjustment, and it requires major work.

Out of curiosity, what kind of minor adjustments are you talking about?

In my case, it was network support and power management that caused the issues. A layman would live without, but these things were critical for my install and fixing them was a mighty undertaking which at the time wasn't able to be completed properly... I simply could not find a fix for the power issue then as it was supposed to "just work".

In all my years the only GUI I have seen that truly "just worked" is AmigaOS to be honest. Even OS X needed more argument to install on the iBook than 3.1 on my A1200.
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby lizardb0y on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:39 am

Carcenomy wrote:
lizardb0y wrote:
Carcenomy wrote:... but it's the middleground where it pisses me off. You want to make a minor adjustment, and it requires major work.

Out of curiosity, what kind of minor adjustments are you talking about?

In my case, it was network support and power management that caused the issues.

I've not had a networking issue on desktop or laptop for a few years now. There are still (I am told) a few WiFi chipsets that can be problematic, but I haven't struck one myself. Vendors opening their chip specs would go a long way towards addressing this, and that will only start happening when enough people demand it that it looks like it will affect their bottom line not to.

Power Management is something that has been up-and-down like a yoyo. There have been a few regressions in power management over the 2.6 series kernels that seem to get fixed and then regress again. Phoronix seem to keep a close eye on this: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... ress&num=1
lizardb0y / Andrew
Just another 8-bit hustler

blog: http://www.vintage8bit.com
twitter: @vintage8bit
google+: http://gplus.to/lizardb0y
trademe: andrew9 - over 500 positive trades.
lizardb0y

Postby XOR on Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:25 pm

I think there's a good argument for OS X on Apple laptops. The level of integration between the hardware and software is pretty compelling.

My primary computer is a four year old Macbook that's been upgraded with an Intel SSD. It works a treat.
XOR

Postby Carcenomy on Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:08 pm

This is why my iBook runs Tiger again now. Although it's just decided it doesn't want to boot into Classic any more... lord knows, and I don't have the enthusiasm to look into it further ;)
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Previous

Return to Non-Vintage Computing