Digital Nationz - Back again! (Museum)

Reminisce about those old games and dedicated gaming hardware

Digital Nationz - Back again! (Museum)

Postby Radar on Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:08 am

Just a quick update to let everyone know that Mark Barlow and myself are once again sharing our collections and running the "History of Video-games and Computers" Museum at this show.
Dates: 27 – 28 September 2014, VECTOR ARENA, Auckland
http://www.digitalnationz.com/

For those of you who attended last year it will be pretty much the same concept; from Odyssey through to PS2 with all the consoles/home computers in-between.

This year we more much more room and table space and the aim is to have even more on display and more consoles/home computers running and/or playable.
I've been hoarding CRT TVs and Monitors in anticipation.

I'm currently in full-on unpack, test, repack mode going through my collection at the moment getting ready.

Also if anyone wants to volunteer and help with setup, teardown, security, keeping things running during the show we are looking for volunteers again.
And if you do attend please come and say Hello!!!
Radar

Re: Digital Nationz - Back again! (Museum)

Postby tezza on Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:41 pm

Good stuff. I hope it's well attended.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Postby garyc2014 on Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:47 am

I'm so annoyed I'm gonna miss this, esp as I always stayed around Shortland St which is only a stones throw from the Vector

Looks sweet and I hope as above poster said it is well attended

Good Luck !
garyc2014

Postby Clym5 on Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:36 am

How might I be able to apply to help?

I've got a 1541-U I could bring with me for instant loading of demos and such for a C64, and if you need any Amiga floppies, I can write them.
Amiga 4000: Apollo Turbo 040, 128MB Fast, 40gb HDD, CD-ROM (needs internet)
C64: 1541U-II, MixSID, WiFi, LumaFix64
ZX Spec, A1200, CD32, MacPlus/SE, A500, BBC Turbo Master (NASA), 2600, Acorn 4000, VIC-20, IBM 5155, GameBoy
Clym5

Postby kevman3d on Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:36 pm

Cool stuff! I think I'm supposed to be working there again (I was asked to do some 'half hour presentations' for the school/playtech - I think I was the only person stupid enough to say 'Yeh, sure' even though I have no idea what I'll even talk about :lol: ). Hopefully I'll get a chance to come check it out a second time as the last time I got in just at the end when the last of us were allowed through - so felt a little rushed. :D
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby Radar on Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:57 pm

Clym5 wrote:How might I be able to apply to help?
I've got a 1541-U I could bring with me for instant loading of demos and such for a C64, and if you need any Amiga floppies, I can write them.

I'd be keen to try the 1541-U, even just to have some good demo's on display.
I've got 2 x SD2IEC units for the C64 / Vic20 side of things already but I really made the wrong choice going with these over the 1541-U.
SIDE2 is good for loading pre-cracked games but isn't a good option for running good demo's that expect a "real" 1541 drive :(

Amiga wise should have setup and running:
- A500 with A590 HDD, A500+ with GOTEK USB loader, A1200 x 2 (one HDD, one compact CF adapter with WDHLOAD), A2000 with SCSI HDD.

+ "modern loading" solution wise will have:
- Apple IIGS with CFA3000, Atari XE with SIDE2 and Spectrum with DivIDE.

Trying to ensure I have an easy way of loading software for all these systems. Or use carts were available like on Acorn Electron/Vic20.

Biggest DOH moment last year was struggling with loading Spectrum tape software which would start OK and fail half way through.
Finally realised it was because the working Spectrum I had bought was a 16k model and the games we were loading were 48k. :oops:

Turnout should be good, we had 1000s through last year.
Radar

Postby Radar on Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:58 pm

kevman3d wrote:Cool stuff! I think I'm supposed to be working there again (I was asked to do some 'half hour presentations' for the school/playtech - I think I was the only person stupid enough to say 'Yeh, sure' even though I have no idea what I'll even talk about :lol: ). Hopefully I'll get a chance to come check it out a second time as the last time I got in just at the end when the last of us were allowed through - so felt a little rushed. :D

The Friday is "press only day" so if your around working its the most chill day to come and say hi and have a play :)
Radar

Postby Clym5 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:05 pm

Sure thing! I'll bring it along, with a USB drive with a good few megabytes of stuff. I've got the C64 NUVIE video player and that 44.1khz wav player on there too.
Any demos in particular you want?

Send me a PM if you want any Amiga stuff on a Floppy.

I've got a CD32 I could bring with me for the day too. Along with games and one controller.
ZX Spec, A1200, CD32, MacPlus/SE, A500, BBC Turbo Master (NASA), 2600, Acorn 4000, VIC-20, IBM 5155, GameBoy
Clym5

Postby xjas on Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:05 pm

Clym5 wrote:

Sure thing! I'll bring it along, with a USB drive with a good few megabytes of stuff. I've got the C64 NUVIE video player and that 44.1khz wav player on there too.

I don't know what demos he wants but I have some suggestions.

(Also this one, if a Plus 4 happens to show up.)
xjas

Postby Clym5 on Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:07 pm

Thanks for the suggestions xjas. I'll put them on the 1541-U now. I've got plenty of games, and other demos too. Coma Light might already be there.
Clym5

Postby Radar on Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:29 pm

Clym5 wrote:

Send me a PM if you want any Amiga stuff on a Floppy.
I've got a CD32 I could bring with me for the day too. Along with games and one controller.

Sounds good!

I've already have a CD32 and it will be there and playable.
Last year we had it running Super Skidmarks (& the "bonus" blitzbasic Defender clone in that disk) - several of the Acid Software guys who wrote it were at the show which was extra nice!
Radar

Postby mrad01 on Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:17 pm

Awesome display at DigitalNationNZ this weekend - stole the show (again). Big "well done" to Michael, Clinton and Mark - sensational.

Shameless plug for them too - get in behind this idea: http://www.techvana.org.nz/
mrad01

Postby xjas on Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:11 pm

Damn, was intending to come out but I got hung up helping a friend fix his truck at the last minute... Sounds like I missed a good display!
Any pics?
xjas

Postby Clym5 on Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:25 pm

I was too busy walking around in awe, and playing on the Virtual Boy to take photos, sorry! Try Techvana's facebook page, and Digital Nationz's page too. Techvana really did steal the show I think. :D There were more people going through there than the Xbox and Turtle Beach places combined!

Really looking forward to the museum!
Last edited by Clym5 on Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clym5

Postby kevman3d on Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:48 pm

Well done guys - I loved that there was so much space to wander around in the display. And of course, plenty of drool-icious stuff on display. I did hear some stories online that you had some stuff stolen? I hope that someone managed to sort that one out - I saw there were a few security camera's set up around the display, so fingers crossed someone spotted something - That's very sucky... :?

Oh, and thanks Michael for the Amiga PSU! Much appreciated! :)

I did two workshops (well, presentations) at the show on the challenges of writing games in the 80's and the comparison to today's mobile game maker. Saturday it was a full room (25 people) - Loads of banter from people telling stories about their own childhood memories (of which literally everybody who spoke had a British Accent). It was a very cool session... Today was mostly teens and early twenty-somethings... They didn't quite "connect" as well as the group on Saturday - but its great to see how much of the younger generation is as curious and fascinated by the older technology as most of us here are passionate.

:D
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Next

Return to Vintage Computer Gaming