This mornings gift... Sportstronic TV game

Reminisce about those old games and dedicated gaming hardware

This mornings gift... Sportstronic TV game

Postby kevman3d on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:05 am

Well, if it wasn't the stash of Commodore stuff last week, one of my students surprised me this morning with a gift to say 'thanks for helping out' in the form of an old Sportstronic game! No power plug, and no idea if it even works - but its in the original box, with instructions (in fantastic condition) and the date of purchase on the warranty says 2 Jan 1978...

He knows I'm collecting old stuff, so its a nice gesture. And its one more for the new 'collection' I seem to have started building up. In case anybody wants to see some piccies, here's the link.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-yNJZpBnrutbk01Vy1SN2oyWU0&usp=sharing

I guess this just needs a 2 pin plug attached to it? Anybody know how safe it would be to wire on a plug and see if it runs? Should I prepare for a big bang and a puff of smoke? :lol:
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Re: This mornings gift... Sportstronic TV game

Postby Clym5 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:19 am

When you say 2 pin, do you mean the mains socket plug?

I've come across quite a few 70's consoles, and all of them used a external AC-DC converter. I'd think this one would be the same, but I've never seen the Sportstronic before, so I very well could be wrong.
Amiga 4000: Apollo Turbo 040, 128MB Fast, 40gb HDD, CD-ROM (needs internet)
C64: 1541U-II, MixSID, WiFi, LumaFix64
ZX Spec, A1200, CD32, MacPlus/SE, A500, BBC Turbo Master (NASA), 2600, Acorn 4000, VIC-20, IBM 5155, GameBoy
Clym5

Postby kevman3d on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:46 am

Not sure - all I see is this long power cable coming from the bottom of it that looks like it needs a plug on the end. That said, there is also a wierd 4-pin connector on the back of the unit. Its possible I guess that this could be a power input, but there's no mention of it in the manual.

Does someone here own one of these and can shed some light on this? :)

You know, this bought back a memory of seeing one of these in a very small Electrical store in Kerikeri (I think it was probably Brian Jolly electrical). My parents ended up buying a Fountain instead when they were released (pre-ordered from Smith and Browns in Kaitaia)

Its funny how things like this fire off a few neurons now and again.
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby Clym5 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:02 am

A photo of the cable and the 4 pin connector might help. You can usually tell if the cable is used with 230v or a lower voltage (12 or less usually) by looking at the gauge of wire.

Another way to find out is to look inside, but that's up to you.
ZX Spec, A1200, CD32, MacPlus/SE, A500, BBC Turbo Master (NASA), 2600, Acorn 4000, VIC-20, IBM 5155, GameBoy
Clym5

Postby Radar on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:35 am

I'm 95% sure (and not at home to check) that the white "power" cable is actually the antenna cable and it attaches to the 4 position switch box.

Power for the unit is batteries - should be a large silver screw in the centre of the base you undo to remove the whole bottom to access this.
4 pin connector I think is the one for the optional light-gun.

Your unit is an "interesting" one - its badged Kitronix/Kitset Electronics as Sportronic themselves went into receivership and Kitronix bought out and on sold the remaining inventory.
Radar

Postby Clym5 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:53 am

I see two white cables in there. One has 3 wires, and the other has two. From the pictures regarding the RF switcher, the 2 wire white cable is the antenna cable, and the 3 wire one definitely "looks" like main cable. It actually looks like house wiring cable!

A photo of the bottom and a photo of the back, where the cables go into the unit would be nice, when you have time.
Clym5

Postby kevman3d on Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:18 pm

I'll have another check on it when I'm back at work on Monday. Thanks for all the info here... I have a pile of stuff I have to get home - all those commodores and the Sportronic - so its sitting behind my desk at work which means I can't check it out just at this moment (unless I can ask the wife to grab it on her way home)

It'll be interesting to see if it actually works. I already have someone at work who says he'd want to challenge me to a game if it was working... :D
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby kevman3d on Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:26 am

Doh! This is where I step back, go bright red and suddenly realise I probably should have looked at untangling the jumble of wire first before jumping on here asking 'Does anybody know...' :oops:

Indeed, looks like it takes 6 D-size batteries. And the bare ends of the electrical-looking wire were in fact a bunch of spare wires twisted around the main ones that are wired into the TV switch box. So looks like nothing to worry about afterall... Geesh! You'd think I would have learnt to 'look first, ask questions later' by my age. :lol:

I think its time to get some batteries and see if this works. I suspect it should, but better not count my chickens before they're hatched... :roll:
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby Clym5 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:07 am

Ah, mystery solved! If it takes 9v, it should be easy enough to whip up a power supply to put where the batteries would be too. I just picked up a Atari 2600, and got a new power supply for it from my box of assorted power packs.

If it runs from batteries, and they've been taken out before leaking, no reason it shouldn't work. (mostly)
Clym5

Postby kevman3d on Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:50 pm

Clym5 wrote:If it runs from batteries, and they've been taken out before leaking, no reason it shouldn't work. (mostly)

Its squeeky-clean on the inside - lets hope so... 8)
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Postby kevman3d on Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:55 am

Woohoo... Pong for everybody... :D

Works great - though give it 10 minutes and the beeping starts to get a little too much. Especially when its in a shared office and people are trying to work behind you...

Also, the second player on-screen bat seems to be missing (or just on the last pixel of the TV screen on the left) with the right being mirrored on the left (and active - ie. you get like a double bat). I noticed there's some kind of trim pot inside - unless someone here screams "Nooooo! Don't touch that!" I'm going to assume its what I can adjust to correct these onscreen issues. Will play a little with that.

But chuffed. Its great to see it working... 8)
"kevman3d" on trademe.
Blog
kevman3d

Return to Vintage Computer Gaming