Favoured Joystick model?

Reminisce about those old games and dedicated gaming hardware

Re: Favoured Joystick model?

Postby RonTurner on Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:33 pm

Switch joy is good, I have found those sprung steel "clickers" taped down to a circuit board split, this is as in Atari 2600 joysticks.

The leaf spring quickshot is not bad.
RonTurner

Postby garyc2014 on Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:53 am

Simply has to be the competition pro....(you can get these for about $40 in USB ...great for people using emulators on their PC ! )

I had Quickshot I & II...hated them both, poorly built and wayyyy to much travel

Did the Konix Speedking make it to NZ ?

http://www.retrogames.co.uk/024807/Othe ... g-Joystick

I hated this the most, it induced pains in both arms !!

I also never used autofire....it kinda was cheating I felt !!
garyc2014

Postby manuka on Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:52 pm

garyc2014 wrote:Did the Konix Speedking make it to NZ ?

http://www.retrogames.co.uk/024807/Othe ... g-Joystick

I hated this the most, it induced pains in both arms !!

I also never used autofire....it kinda was cheating I felt !!

Yes they did, well I have a couple upstairs at work....
molten_media on TradeMe, which is also my place of work. No particular interests apart from passing on some of the gems that come through the door.
manuka

Postby xjas on Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:10 pm

Haha, there's a Konix Speedking on Trademe right now. The buy now is naturally completely out to lunch but it's $1 reserve if you're super-keen...

I always preferred the Wico sticks on the C64 but my favourite stick of all time was the Gravis Firebird 2:

I lugged one of these to LAN parties all over North America every summer when I was 16~19; probably travelled more than any other piece of hardware I had at the time. Ton of buttons & controls, awesome handgrip, two throttles, DB15 connector, fully programmable via keyboard pass through, and all the software was installable and ran from pure DOS. Plus it was Gravis, the same company that made my beloved Ultrasound cards. What more could you want?

(Yes, I still have it, in the original box, with manuals and floppies, in storage... somewhere.)
xjas

Postby Clym5 on Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:52 pm

I use a Sigma-Ray Logic 3 on my A1200 for games. It's pretty decent, but the reason I love it is because of the micro-switches, instead of the membrane ones. Never did like those.

And it isn't a joystick, but for PC gaming, old and new, I've never used a better keyboard than my trusty 1989 IBM Model M. I love buckling spring keyboards..
Amiga 4000: Apollo Turbo 040, 128MB Fast, 40gb HDD, CD-ROM (needs internet)
C64: 1541U-II, MixSID, WiFi, LumaFix64
ZX Spec, A1200, CD32, MacPlus/SE, A500, BBC Turbo Master (NASA), 2600, Acorn 4000, VIC-20, IBM 5155, GameBoy
Clym5

Postby Carcenomy on Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:33 pm

I've not heard anyone mention it so I'll just throw it out there.

Cheetah Annihilator.

Worst. Joystick. Ever. I want to meet whoever thought it was a good idea to take all the worst aspects of the Atari 2600 joystick and amplify them, and kick them in the groin.
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby garyc2014 on Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:36 am

Wow xjas, that Gravis looks like a serious bit of kit !!!!

If only Interceptor on the Amiga supported Analogue input :D

@Carcenomy OMG I forgot about cheetah joysticks !, I had one and remember the fire button on the base used to jam !!! aarghhh

I never liked fire buttons on the joystick itself as in a panic to fire you can end up moving as well !

@clym5 those look like a bit of a Quickshot clone ? All those joysticks had like 6+ fire buttons but C64 only had support for ONE fire button lol....they looked good tho lol !
garyc2014

Postby sidney on Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:19 am

I must confess to being a keyboard fan when I was growing up with my Spectrum, I still like controlling games with keys as a result. The first stick I had was one that was given away with the system and lets just say that it wasn't the best, perhaps that's why I preferred keys! I did get a Competition Pro eventually and that was good but I have to say that when I got a Sega Master System and a NES I much preferred pads to sticks. When I use my C64 and Amiga however I must say that I avoid plugging in any gamepads that were not designed for the host machines (having read to many horror stories involving them) so I use an Atari VCS stick and find that good for my gaming requirements.
sidney

Postby Gibsaw on Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:07 pm

I've had a few, but , but sooner or later the springs get worn and so do the potentiometers, and you're dealing with a joystick that can't "fly straight and level".

I like the microsoft sidewinder precision. Optical. Generally stayed working well.
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby sidney on Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:40 am

I have just ordered a Commodore joystick for my Commodore 16 because standard pads won't work on there owing to the non Atari standard sockets, that and the fact that even with an adaptor the pad could fry the Ted chip!
sidney

Postby FrenchBrown on Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:31 pm

Hi, I'm only familiar with the Atari classic, that's one of my brother's favorite.
FrenchBrown

Postby vintageatk on Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:20 pm

I have TAC2 and it is best(i think) :)
vintageatk

Previous

Return to Vintage Computer Gaming