Another one for my collection, and a plug...

Anything to do with New Zealand Classic or Vintage Computing not covered in the other forums

Another one for my collection, and a plug...

Postby Shayde on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:27 pm

I just received my latest (and last) classic computer this week, an original TRS-80 Model 1. Apologies for the low light; the back room has a shitty bulb in it.

I hope Terry doesn't mind (please delete if you do) but I'd like to put in a good word for Ian Mavric of Australia who supplied me this computer. He operates an enthusiast web-site for all things TRS-80, sells many parts and items for them, and he's a real nice guy too!

I should also mention The Classic Computer Shop where I got my Europlus from along with some other parts, and they always arrived speedily and well-packed. Note, being based in The Netherlands it's not a cheap option though!

Again, apologies if this is out of place. I don't have any stake in these guys operations, I'm just a very happy customer.

It's in very good condition, with no faded paint. I haven't turned it on yet - it's American so I need to find my adapter - but I can at least bash on the keys and pretend I'm balancing my cheque-book and storing my kitchen recipes on it.

Shayde

Re: Another one for my collection, and a plug...

Postby tezza on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:12 pm

Shayde wrote:I hope Terry doesn't mind (please delete if you do) but I'd like to put in a good word for Ian Mavric of Australia who supplied me this computer. He operates an enthusiast web-site for all things TRS-80, sells many parts and items for them, and he's a real nice guy too!

Absolutely no problem at all with that. I know Ian, he's a great TRS-80 enthusiast and a good guy.

Have fun with your machine. When all these other activities I'm involved in right now ease off (in a couple of months) I intend to redo my video on the Model 1. I'm embarrassed about that clip and with my new camera I will be able to give the venerable old girl the coverage she deserves.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Re: Another one for my collection, and a plug...

Postby Shayde on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:11 pm

I admit I hadn't noticed your TRS-80 video before. :oops: Just had a watch, and it was good, very clear and informative, though I can see the problems you had videoing the screen contents. I forgot just how good some of the software was for it, as all I saw was mostly the shitty old BASIC games that couldn't run fast enough to do much very interesting. I remember the sound trick though; I seem to remember having to set the tape recorder to sending the mic. input to the speaker somehow so you could hear it, which was a very cool trick when you see/hear it in action for the first time.

Let's hope I have better luck doing cassette emulation on the TRS-80 than I did with the Apple II - no expansion unit with my particular TRS-80.
Shayde

Return to General