Remembering those pre-GUI word processors

Anything to do with New Zealand Classic or Vintage Computing not covered in the other forums

Re: Remembering those pre-GUI word processors

Postby SpidersWeb on Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:38 pm

This thread made me finally open my Ami Professional box I got off trademe a while back (the first WYSIWYG word processor for Windows) - inside the box, next to the original manuals and disks were a few other DOS software titles - including PFS First Choice 1.0 (1986) disks with a $100 price tag on it :D Quite happy about that.

Edit: tried them out, seems the old version runs straight off floppy, used it on my 5150 (256KB + MDA) with great success. I need to switch out my data disk for the dictionary disk when starting or doing a spelling check though ;) This and "Accounts 3" both ran on a twin floppy setup.
Wanted - Dead or Alive - Reward $$$: Compaq Deskpro 8088 / 286 / 386 - IBM RT 6150/6151 parts - AT&T 3B2 parts
VC Twitter
SpidersWeb

Re: Remembering those pre-GUI word processors

Postby Radar on Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:27 pm

Radar wrote:
Matt wrote:On the //e:
Fulltext (was this a nz product?)

Fulltext.Pro.80 for the Apple IIe was definitely a NZ written word processor. I'll see if I can dig out my copy and upload some photos.
There was also a version for the BBC called "Fulltext MASTER".

Dr John Shanks of Spacific Software (Dunedin/Otago Uni Maths Dept) was the developer.

It was heavily used in Schools / education for a number of years.
From memory it was the first Word Processor to have a Maori dictionary and handle macrons.

Photo's of my copy as promised :)

Radar

Previous

Return to General