G3 iMac - refurbish

Introduce yourself. Tell people why you are interested in vintage computers and what (if anything) you've got.

G3 iMac - refurbish

Postby mikeh on Wed May 04, 2016 4:11 pm

Hi

I have a G3 iMac that I would like to refurbish. I lack the technical skills to do the work myself so I'm looking for someone willing/able to do it for me. I'd like to replace the current hardware and components with modern equipment:
- replace CRT monitor with a flat LCD panel (will require creative skills to mount/fit the LCD screen)
- replace the inner workings with something like an iMac mini
- replace keyboard and mouse with bluetooth Apple keyboard and mouse

Is anyone interested in taking up this challenge and/or do they know anyone who could offer the service?

Thanks

Mike
mikeh

Re: G3 iMac - refurbish

Postby Gibsaw on Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:44 pm

I don't wish to be too hard on the idea, since re-purposing and recycling is generally good - but usually from the vintage collector's perspective, the object is to restore the machines we grew up with to living, breathing, working examples of the genuine original article. What you're describing is a casemod, not refurbishment.

I can't speak for others on this board, but every time someone posts a video of someone breathlessly describing how "creative" they think they are when they've hacked apart a classic machine with a dremel to make (gasp! surprise!) yet another cheap AMD Gaming rig, I die a little inside.

Since these machines are "mid-life" vintage and currently somewhat plentiful (compared to say.. a Lisa 1?), it won't be a huge loss, but it still destroys a vintage machine - and treating vintage machines as expendable is how they become "rare".

I won't say you're in the wrong place, but it'd be nicer to see it in original working condition, doing something cool. :D
"dsakey" on trademe. Apple II's are my thing.
Gibsaw

Postby mons2b on Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:05 pm

+Gibsaw

I agree. That is not a refurbish, unless you consider a refurbish in the same vain as when they knock over a nice old building but leave the facade in front like a mask.. Interesting idea none the less. I once gutted a VCR and put a PC inside it for fun. LOL.
mons2b

Postby SeanKennedy on Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:38 pm

mons2b wrote:...unless you consider a refurbish in the same vain as when they knock over a nice old building but leave the facade in front like a mask..

Spot the Cantab :)
SeanKennedy

Postby mons2b on Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:20 pm

SeanKennedy wrote:
mons2b wrote:...unless you consider a refurbish in the same vain as when they knock over a nice old building but leave the facade in front like a mask..

Spot the Cantab :)

Correct! LOL. :) .
mons2b

Return to Introductions