Hi from an old programmer

Introduce yourself. Tell people why you are interested in vintage computers and what (if anything) you've got.

Hi from an old programmer

Postby OldGuy on Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:27 am

Hi all, nice to see this forum.

I was programming back in the pre-windows and pre-PC days and was lucky enough to watch the emergence of the IBM compatible, that was until IBM took some of the others to court.
I am still involved in IT and enjoying the challenges of cutting edge.

Cheers
Graham
OldGuy

Re: Hi from an old programmer

Postby tezza on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:08 pm

Welcome to the forums Graham,

It's great to have someone who can provide insights on pre-PC days. I imagine you've seen a lot of change in IT over the decades.
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Re: Hi from an old programmer

Postby OldGuy on Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:44 am

Thanks, Yes amazing the changes that have happened, I am heavily involved with Virtual Machines now and to be able to rebuild a machine in seconds, upgrade without leaving the seat and access it anywhere there is an internet connection is so far from where it started.

I started off modifying CB Radios to get 200+ channels and used to spend hours talking to people over seas and locally and that allowed me to meet the half of our company which we formed in Sydney.
Like Bill Gates we saw the value in Software, not Hardware at the time, but I guess our biggest mistake was not predicting the impact of the IBM compatible and Windows into the Homes which was the birth of the "PC" as at this time every maker had a different operating system.

Extremely fun times and we could walk into a supplier and walk out with a free computer on the promise we would write some software, Apple, TRS80, Sinclair, Sega, Amstrad, Toshiba, Amiga and few others.
OldGuy

Return to Introductions