Greetings from Wellington! I'm Neo.

Introduce yourself. Tell people why you are interested in vintage computers and what (if anything) you've got.

Greetings from Wellington! I'm Neo.

Postby Neonspider on Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:52 am

Hi folks! Nice to meet you all, I just discovered this forum and its relevant Facebook group while looking for traces of a retro computer scene in NZ. I found this place and thought I'd sign up so I could join discussions of vintage hardware, perhaps learn a few things, and see what other cool stuff other people have collected!

I'm fairly new to this scene, transitioning from video game consoles (for playing, not just looking cool on a shelf!), collected many since the Saturn/PS1 era (and a couple before then). Everything works or has been restored by me, it's a blast playing through the years of classics I never previously experienced. I also compose/produce music in my spare time. I'm making electronic tracks right now, though I've also made MIDIs for some stuff in the DOOM community.

I've been looking to vintage computers to both game and use for my music projects, and admire the C64's brilliant SID chip design, and the Atari ST's native MIDI integration. I have a Roland SC-55 (GM compatible revision), KORG DS-8 that I use for hardware synthesis.

I hope to collect a C64 someday to both use in my music, and also teach myself to write code for, I think it'd be a fun project to make a couple of homebrew games, learning as I go! I have an iMac G3 and Amiga 500 in my possession. The Mac is great for gaming but I haven't looked at the Amiga too much. I haven't got a power cable, workbench disk, or peripherals of any kind which makes it a tad hard to work with! :)

I look forward to having some neat discussions about vintage computing, and seeing what cool stuff you've all uncovered since or before I was born!

All the best! - Neo Te-Aika 8)
Life is like cheesecake, it's a balancing act of enjoying it without causing a colossal crumble.
Neonspider

Re: Greetings from Wellington! I'm Neo.

Postby Carcenomy on Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:51 pm

Hey Neo!

There's a few dudes up your way in the Amiga scene so somebody should be able to find you all the bits you need to get your 500 rocking. Get a sampler and a copy of OctaMED and have at it man, so much fun to be had with the 500's audio system.

I might even have a 64 somewhere around here that's spare if you really want to get into the SID stuff!

Have fun, welcome, jump on Bookface and stuff too :)

Nick.
Just the local Commodore hobo and middle-aged PC hoarder.
eisa on Trademe. A lasting reminder of a Compaq fetish when I was younger.
Carcenomy

Postby Neonspider on Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:39 pm

Oh that's awesome to hear! I'd definitely be keen on jumping into trackers if I ever got the 500 up and running. Wouldn't mind getting my hands on the Turrican games too :D
Life is like cheesecake, it's a balancing act of enjoying it without causing a colossal crumble.
Neonspider

Postby tezza on Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:16 pm

Neonspider wrote:...though I've also made MIDIs for some stuff in the DOOM community.

I loved DOOM in the day. Just saying!
Tez (Terry Stewart) (Administrator)
Collection: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/co ... /index.htm
Projects and Articles: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/index.htm
Twitter: @classiccomputNZ | YouTube: Terry Stewart
Trade Me: tezza5
tezza
Site Admin

Return to Introductions